Above is the easiest summer salad inspired by my friend Kennedy who swiftly suggested I make it when I was scrambling to get things together for dinner for 12 at our house last weekend. We love to grill and pile as many people onto our patio as possible as often as possible. But I have learned that cooking while guests are hanging around your kitchen is not one of my skills. I inevitably forget about the oven and turn my attention toward the wine and conversation. So this was the perfect, premade solution. While the iphoto doesn't do it justice, this dish was a hit for the taste buds and eyeballs alike. Read on for the how to!
What you need:
- 1 package of orzo
- 1 box of cherry tomatoes
- 2 cucumbers
- A chunk of feta cheese (or you can buy the prechopped version in a jar!)
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon
1. Cook the orzo, drain and set aside, covered
2. Grab a skillet, drizzle in some olive oil and sauté those cherry tomatoes!
3. Wash and chop the cucumbers into small pieces
4. Combine orzo, tomatoes and cucumbers in a big bowl. Stir in a little extra olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. Crumble as much feta as you'd like into the orzo mix and stir.
6. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours or even overnight so the flavors really mix together. Just before you serve, squeeze some lemon juice on it for a really fresh flavor.
Sip that cocktail and enjoy a hassle free side to your meal!